Let’s talk about jowls…
These are one of the most common things we get asked about whether we can help with these…
Firstly, what exactly are jowls?
This rather depressing term is often used to describe the sagging skin which can hang loose below the jaw line, most commonly developed as we age.
Unfortunately, as we age, gravity begins to take its toll on our appearance. Our skin loses its elasticity and plumpness, our muscles lose tone.
In addition, there are additional factors which can come into play:
- Sun damage and smoking (accelerating the loss of collagen and elastin)
- Poor sleeping position – consistently sleeping on your side is thought to worsen jowls over time
- Genes – unfortunately, we can’t escape this one
- Other lifestyle factors such as poor nutrition, posture/tech neck
But if you feel you are developing jowls, it doesn’t have to be all doom and gloom, because there are some great ways that you can improve the appearance of jowls, and really firm up your jaw line…and the best part? All without going near a needle or scalpel!
Here are some of our top tips for banishing jowls:
- Limit sun exposure or wear sunscreen, even on cloudy days
- Eat well – eat food packed with Anti-oxidents and nutrients, particularly Vit C which helps synthesise Collagen (think colourful fruit and veg)
- Sleep on your back – this is generally deemed to be by far the best position in terms of avoiding unnecessary ageing of the face when sleeping
- Massage your face – stimulate collagen production naturally through massage
- Exercise your facial muscles – this leads to toned and lifted facial muscles, which inevitably improves the appearance of jowls
Would you like to learn easy techniques to lift, tone and sculpt your lower face? Luminous Face Yoga offers a specific programme over 6 weeks to get you great results. This is included in any membership package, and you can also join any of our live zoom classes completely free when you become a member!